If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for Energizing Education visit our volunteer interest page here or you can watch a short video below on what to expect if you become a mentor.
To become a mentor at any of our partnering schools, click here to fill out our volunteer application form. Along with the application, please fill out the appropriate background check for the school. To mentor at Bennett Elementary, Cascades Elementary, Frost Elementary or McCulloch Academy click here. For Arnold Elementary click here. For Northwest Early Elementary click here and for George Long Elementary click here.
NOTE: If applying to mentor at JPS, please send a copy of your driver’s license with your paperwork. All forms can be emailed to our Recruitment Coordinator at email@example.com or faxed to 517-539-8003. For questions please call 517-990-6070.
What Mentors Are Saying:
- It’s a wonderful program and I enjoyed it very much.”
- “Watching the students make progress and improve is the best part of mentoring.”
- “I enjoy sharing in his excitement when he learns a new word or remembers one from the previous week.”
- “I enjoyed watching him have a sense of accomplishment with every new book that we tackled.”
- “Very nice people and environment.”
- “Great program.”
- “I love doing this.”
In-school mentors’ primary job is to assist students in kindergarten through third grade in practicing their literacy skills, with the goal of reaching grade level milestones by the end of the year. In accordance with this task, the tutor will:
- Assist children in reading, writing, and other literacy activities in coordination with the school Site Coordinator
- Commit to a minimum of one school year consisting of regular weekly, half hour visits when school is in session
- Follow lesson guidelines as detailed in the EE tutoring manual
- Report progress, problems, or concerns to the Site Coordinator
- Complete tutoring logs and assessments following each session
- Notify EE staff in advance if you expect to be absent
- Follow all building rules and regulations