Volunteer mentors work one-on-one with EE students (K through 3rd grade) for two 30-minute reading sessions each week. Each mentor is screened, trained and provided with helpful materials. Specialized “Literacy Lounges” are available at participating schools. A Literacy Specialist supports and trains mentors, tracks students’ progress and offers tips and guidance when needed. By weaving this element of Energizing Education into the fabric of the school, more people from across the community are engaged and students learn to love reading while enhancing their learning skills. Mentors who participate in Energizing Education say they find the experience fun, rewarding and effective.
What do young readers need to succeed?
From Every Child Every Day by Richard Allington and Rachael Gabriel:
- Every child reads something he or she chooses.
- Every child reads accurately.
- Every child reads something he or she understands.
- Every child writes about something personally meaningful.
- Every child talks to a caring adult about his or her reading and writing.
- Every child listens to a fluent adult read aloud.